Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Apple Donut Wednesday

Exhausted.  Patrick didn't feel well as we took off for school and he felt worse after I dropped him off; so home we came, together, to get ready for my Wednesday coffee hour.  He was a good boy, wanted to watch a movie quietly in his room (he chose "Barbie in the Nutcracker"--interesting) and he stayed tucked away for a good two hours.  After his quiet morning he felt FINE and I regretted not sending him to school.  I know this will be a common theme for school days now and in years to come.  It's so hard for the kids' little bodies to tolerate all of the required medications.  It takes about 45 minutes for everything to metabolize, and then all is right with the world.  Patrick's pain has been concentrated around his chest area (when I ask him where it hurts, he points to his sternum), so I feel like it's either heartburn or his esophagus is getting irritated by all of his meds and frequent vomiting (2 times daily, lately...thank God he's a good shot at the garbage can).   I e-mailed Dr. Butani about all of this today, and within 2 hours a prescription for Prevacid was waiting for my little guy at Parkside Pharmacy.  The good news is this should eventually treat all of the G.I. "churning" that has been bothering him.  The bad news: this is the second new drug prescribed and started within 5 days.  Any of us who take and/or give meds like these (and so many of us do) are relying on faith and trust...of drug companies, researchers, doctors and the little warning pamphlets that arrive with the prescriptions.  I hope each medication does exactly what it was prescribed for--AND NOTHING ELSE!

While Patrick enjoyed the Nutcracker, I had a nice coffee hour with friends.  We had Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel topping and lots of coffee.  The conversation was "baby talk" as my good friend Dinny looks forward to baby #3 in Springtime, (she's in green in the photo below). 
 and did we ever giggle and admire little Lucy? 
Jenna and I had a bike ride this eve while Kevin spent time with Patrick (who ended the day feeling less-than-par), visiting the family of pet hamster "Jake" and moving on to the home of golden retriever "Turbo" after that.  Jenna would sure love a pet...but that's a great topic for another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment